Catalog Files - Detailed Description
Catalog files are CSV files used to upload supplier catalog content.
See Documentation Topics:
BuyerQuest provides suppliers with detailed instructions, sample catalogs, and a blank catalog upload file for them to provide their catalog content. The supplier can either export data into the required format or manually complete the file in Excel. All Catalog files may be uploaded as either full or delta.
Tip: To simplify the catalog upload file process, we highly recommend suppliers work with their IT teams to efficiently export data into the CSV catalog upload file.
Overview of Catalog File
Enabling catalog content requires suppliers to provide catalog content in CSV files. Suppliers are provided with the following information in order to begin set up of their content:
- Catalog Upload File Instructions - Detailed instructions on how to export data to all fields
- Example Catalog File(s) - Sample catalog files for your reference (embedded in this document)
- Blank Upload Catalog File(s) - Catalog Upload File(s) for you to populate
The Catalog Upload File Instructions document contains instructions for 4 different tabs:
- Common Fields (Required)
- Additional Attributes (Highly Recommended)
- Custom Options (If Applicable)
- Tiered Pricing (If Applicable)
At a minimum, suppliers provide the Common Fields file. However, they may be asked to provide all applicable CSV files.
Common Fields (Required)
The Common Fields file contains standard product fields that all suppliers are asked to provide.
Common Fields Key Points:
There are 11 fields in the Common Fields file that required, as indicated below by an asterisk (*). It is highly recommended that suppliers provide information in as many of the following fields as possible:
- sku * - Suppliers Part Number. Note that a SKU may be associated with multiple catalogs and multiple prices.
- name * - Name of the product to be listed in the catalog
- short_description * - Short Description of the product
- long_description * - Long Description of the product
- image - Image of the Product - an electronic file of a photograph, picture, or schematic of the product
- manufacturer *- Name of the Manufacturer of the product. ( if this is the same as the supplier, then simply enter supplier's name)
- mfg_part_num * - Manufacturer's Part Number (if this is the same as the supplier, then simply enter the part number again)
- unspsc * - Product's valid United Nations Standard Products and Services Code
- UOM * - Unit of Measured associated to the product
- currency * - Currency that is used
- lead_time (Highly Recommended, if Applicable) - Lead Time in number of business days
- list_price * - Supplier's list (pre-contact) price. Where a SKU has different prices, each associated with a different catalog, the Common Fields file should feature a separate line for each price/catalog combination.
- contract_price * - Customer's contract price
- quantity_increments - Fixed quantity increment that the Product should be purchased in
- minimum_quantity- Minimum quantity that must be purchased at one time for this Product
- max_quantity - Maximum quantity that can be purchased at one time.
- name_<store view> - Name of the product to be listed in the catalog followed by the storeview code representing the language code
- short_description_<store view>- Short Description of the product followed by the storeview code representing the language code
- long_description_<store view> - Long Description of the product followed by the storeview code representing the language code
- service_type - Distinguishes between a product and a service
- is_qty_decimal - Set to allow for fractional quantities of a product
- in_stock - Indicates whether an item is in stock, out of stock, available by quote only, or back ordered.
- catalogs - Specifies the catalogs that the item is associated with. Allows a single supplier to upload multiple catalogs. Multiple catalogs are separated by a vertical bar.
- linked_sku - SKU of a product to be associated with the main product. Used for mandatory fees for recycling, staging, assembly, etc. as required by a buying organization or regulatory entity.
- display_start_date - specifies the date a product status is set to Enabled and display will start.
- display_end_date - specifies the date a product status is set to Disabled and display will end.
- status - 0 (disabled) or 1 or null (enabled)
- visibility - catalog, catalog search, or not visible
- catalog = item is shown only when the user browses that supplier’s catalog in the marketplace under shop by supplier. The item is not searchable and therefore will not be listed in results if the user searches for it.
- catalog search = the item is shown in the supplier’s catalog under shop by supplier and the item is searchable and will be displayed in results if the user searches for it.
- not visible = internal users cannot see the item in the marketplace at all, regardless of whether they’re browsing inside the supplier’s catalog or searching for it. Can be used for linked products that are not available separately.
Common Fields Mapped to Product Details Page
After import, Information from the Common Fields file is used for display on the Product Details Page. Name, Image (schematic, photo, picture), short description, long description, list price, contract price, and linked products are prominently displayed.
Linked Products and Bundled Products
Catalog Uploads accommodate two types configurations where products are associated with each other - Linked Products and Bundled Products, described below and illustrated by use cases.
Linked Products are fees, services, or additional products required with the order of another product, referred to as the "Parent Product." Examples are required set up, staging, or recycling fees or warranties. Suppliers, buying organizations, or government agencies may require the Linked Product to be included with the Parent Product. Suppliers should use Linked Products:
- When the Linked Product is absolutely required with the order of a Parent Product.
- The Linked Product is to be included in the same quantity as the Parent Product.
Upload of Linked Products uses the linked_sku field in the Common Field file to establish the linkage between the Linked and Parent Products.
Bundled Products are sets of products that may require the choice of an additional product from a list of options. Examples include the required choice of one type of safety helmet for a new employee, where a selection is made from a group of options. Supplier should use Bundled Products:
- To define a set of products that are usually ordered together, such as a mouse and keyboard with a computer.
- When buyers need to be prompted to make a required selection from a group of options before the item order is complete.
- When each option itself is not required.
Upload of Bundled Products uses the Additional Attributes file.
Additional attributes increase the discoverability of products in Marketplace.
BuyerQuest highly recommends that Suppliers use the Additional Attributes Catalog Upload File to provide a variety of additional content to supplier products. If additional attributes are not provided, in some cases, the supplier will be required to provide attributes.
- There are four total fields within the Additional Attributes Catalog Upload File, all of which are required: part number, attribute type, attribute name, attribute value. Note: Suppliers may include additional columns for multilingual attribute names and multilingual attribute values if applicable.
- Suppliers may provide additional images, videos, PDF attachments, related products, cross-selling products, upselling products, kit/bundled products, parts diagrams, and product-specific attributes (additional product features, which can be filtered when browsing for products; see laptop screenshot below)
Additional attributes include:
- Item specific attributes - size, color, shape, dimensions, etc.
This attribute type offers some of the most useful product information in the product selection process.
- PDF attachments - marketing material, user manuals, etc.
- Additional images or videos - additional photos, schematics, pictures of the product in JPEG, PNG or GIF formats.
- Related items - warranties, installation.
- Kits/Bundles - an offering of several products for sale as one combined product.
Management of Additional Attributes to be Filterable and Searchable
When uploaded, additional attributes are displayed with product information in product details pages.
Client administrators can also configure additional attributes to be filterable and searchable by additional specification made in the Admin Control Panel. See the documentation topic Attribute Management for details.
When so configured, item-specific attributes allow users to "filter down" by supplier-provided item-specific attributes.
Related products are displayed with the products they are associated with.
PDF attachments to products are also displayed with the product. Attachments are often used for policies or product manuals.
Replacement parts diagrams can be used to reorder replacement parts for an associated product. As shown below, the SKUs are the replacement parts that can be ordered for the complete product.
Custom Product Options
The Custom Options Upload allows you to add configurability to your products. The following categories of suppliers generally use custom options: Uniform, Promotional and Print suppliers.
Custom Options File Key Points
There are ten total fields within the Custom Options Catalog Upload File, five of which are required. (Note: It may have additional columns for multilingual custom_option_title and multilingual custom_option_value if necessary)
The Tiered Pricing Catalog Upload File is used to provide the part number/SKUs with tiered pricing.
Tiered Pricing File Key Points
- There are four total fields within the Tiered Pricing Catalog Upload File, three of which are required
- In general, tiered pricing may be used across many supplier types or supplier categories. Most notably, the following categories generally require tiered pricing: Print, Promotional Products, and Uniforms.